I managed to get into some wordy discussions with MikeMC over on Medium. Here’s how it played out from my perspective:
- Oprah Winfrey gives an excellent speech at the Golden Globes. This causes rampant speculation about Oprah for President 2020.
- A backlash ensues. The backlash includes a lot of crappy discussion on a giant social network that irritates me, so I start writing my thoughts. I leave the draft sitting around a while.
- Just around the time that it’s old news, I finally get around to publishing it on Medium:
- robla (2018-02-14) – “A celebrity would be alright“
- That post got under the skin of a friend of mine, who posted this rebuttal:
- MikeMC (2018-02-18) “A celebrity President would be the perfect acknowledgement of everything wrong with America right now, goddammit.” In this post, MikeMC claims he’s going to offer a rebuttal to end all rebuttals (or as he puts it: “I’m fully gonna (metaphorically) kick him down the stairs in the most brutal fashion for the article he just wrote“
- I now feel up to the challenge to write a rebuttal both to MikeMC and to another author who takes a similar tone. It takes me a while, but I finally publish the silly thing:
- robla (2018-05-01) “Celebrity Democrats: ignore the haters“
- MikeMC feels compelled to offer a rebuttal to my rebuttal:
- MikeMC (2018-06-09) “I won’t swear in this response….“
I don’t think either of us has convinced one another of anything, but still, that’s where we left things. I still think Oprah would be a perfectly acceptable choice by Democrats in 2020. Not my favorite choice, but still, a powerful strategic move. MikeMC still thinks its a terrible idea.
I’m offering this summary only because I have something vaguely related that I’d like to share, and I’d like to refer back to this discussion. I hope you enjoyed this summary.